Friday, May 30, 2008

Much needed update

Although the title is right, insofaras I haven't done it in a while, there is nothing to talk about. At all.
And yes, I know insofaras isn't an actually word, but I do so love to run words together that should or shouldn't, depending on how fast I'd say them in real life. Insofaras, nevertheless, omgwtfbbq, the works. You get the idea.

The main reason for nothing interesting? I play WoW. My hunter is now wearing a curtain. It's awesome. He got annoyed at the lack of hunter loot dropping and so ripped up a curtain hanging in the Shade of Aran's section of the library and walked out with it around his shoulders. Silly cow :P

Anyway, moving on...

I'm bored at work, and when that happens little things set off memories.
Like seeing etc set off a memory of my friend yelling at me for saying "Excetra" instead of the correct "Et cetera", which is what 'etc' stands for. And yes, he was right, but it seemed like such a niggly thing to complain about, and I illustrated this by saying "Fair enough, but 'et cetera' is wrong, too."
"What do you mean?" He asked as he pulled his loot out of the back seat of my car.
"Well, et cetera is basically using latin directly in ones speech, and if that's the case, then it should be pronounced 'et ketera' for true accuracy." I said, matter-of-factly. I get rather smug about my schooling sometimes.
"Why?"
"Because the 'c' in latin is pronounced like a hard 'k'. If they used the ess sound, they would have written with an 's'." I put my stuff just inside the door and returned with alacrity to keep the conversation moving.
"Huh." He sounded genuinely surprised, like he'd just learnt something fascinating. "But it is a dead, foreign language being brought into English, so it can be expected to change a little what with our flexible rules of pronunciation."
"Yes, and since we are brought up hearing 'excetra' due to speech speed and volume it is commonly accepted and recognised as such."
"I know, I'm just saying it's wrong." I locked my car with the remote and wandered inside with my friend close behind while still talking.
"And thus our points collide. But fair enough, I shan't us the word for a while at least to save you the trouble of my lazy language."
"Thanks."

This conversation isn't exactly verbatim, but the basics have come across. That and I get to use words I haven't used in a long time. Yay :D
Have you had similar dealings with people before? I feel bad for the english teachers and students out there who have to go through this thing constantly. Sometimes. :P

No comments: